Got two recommended posts in a row that are just fanart of Tails
like i think of metal gear solid and its history with women and everyone’s favorite seems to be Boss - and why not, she’s cool, she’s tough, she’s smart, wise, she’s everything. she’s every bit the everything dude protags get to be in those kinda stories
but, and this is the important but, MGS3 is not her story. not a single MGS is her story. her story exists as a piece to fulfill the various dude snakes and bosses stories
and that’s just like the start of MGS’ problem with women, among others
- Anita Sarkeesian: Your appointment to EA should be finalized within the week, I have already discussed the matter with the Editor
- Zoe Quinn: I take it he was agreeable?
- Anita Sarkeesian: He didn't really have a choice.
- Zoe Quinn: Has he been compromised?
- Anita Sarkeesian: Oh yes, most certainly. When I mentioned we could put him on the priority list for hot gaming tips and tricks he was so willing it was almost pathetic.
Game websites with huge community hubs whose fans are often associated with blunt Twitter hate mobs sort of shrug, they say things like ‘we delete the really bad stuff, what else can we do’ and ‘those people don’t represent our community’ — but actually, those people do represent your community. That’s what your community is known for, whether you like it or not.
When you decline to create or to curate a culture in your spaces, you’re responsible for what spawns in the vacuum. That’s what’s been happening to games.”